Interview with the finalist of the 5-Minute Opera Competition: Martyna Kosecka
1. Where and how did you find out about the 5 Minutes Opera Competition?
I have found out about the 5-Minute Opera Competition from the internet. "The Composer's Site" published information about this competition and it caught my interest.
2. Did you have any previous knowledge about Music Biennale Zagreb?
Yes, of course I did. Music Biennale Zagreb is one of the most popular festivals of contemporary music in Europe. I didn't have the pleasure to attend the Festival before, but I was aware of it's existence and always have followed the news about it.
3. Did you have any previous experience in composing for stage?
The only stage compositions I made were connected to dance or instrumental children theathre. Piece for 5-Minute Opera Competition was my first attempt in creating an opera work.
4. What kind of challenge was it for you to compose a 5 minute opera?
I think that the biggest challenge in composing a 5-minute opera was to build the construction of the whole opera only in 5 minutes, so I had to shrink proportions of different music events into short period of time, but still putting into that all the tension that a big stage form should possess.
5. Have you ever been in Croatia and do you plan to come to Zagreb to the premiere of your piece?
I have been to Croatia once during summer time - in Dubrovnik, and I remembered it as a really beautiful place. To answer the second part of question - yes, luckily, as during the time of MBZ I am a guest conductor during one of the concerts of 4020Festival in Linz, I will be able to travel to Zagreb for one day and hear premiere of my "Kochawaya" opera!